Introduction: More often than not, it is not enough for website owners when they see that visitors just come and leave after a brisk stay at their sites. If you claim to have a smart, unique and useful site, you would definitely want your visitors to do something on your site, such as get enrolled for the newsletter or get a demo of your product. But if they never seem to do any of these, then it is time to revamp your call to action.
What is call to action and how to create one: As the name suggests, call to action is a statement that has been created to generate instant response from those reading or hearing it. It is used in business as a marketing strategy tool so that you can reach your target market and obtain their responses through action. For example, a sales letter that lets your potential clients know about what are you offering and how the facilities can be avail of.
Nature of call to action: Call to action can be myriad types, according to the nature of job. In order to boost the online visibility of your web page and improve the organic ranking of your site, working on call to action is essential. You may wish your visitors to register, buy or subscribe something in connection to your post and the like. Right from the color of your page buttons to language that you choose to explain your action, everything plays crucial role in this regard.
Now let’s discuss about 7 most prolific and smart call to action techniques.
- Generic word is NOT the key: Yes, you read it right! One of the most common mistakes is to use generic words such as “purchase”, “download”, “submit”, “sign-up” to convince your clients to fill up forms with their contact details. You might want to provide them with demos, a lead magnet and free trials through this, but if you write your CTA in a convoluted manner, clients would remain clueless about what they are being offered and thus would navigate to other sites, leaving yours.
- Start using visual cues: One of the most effective ways of call to action and creating great content in general. Studies have proved that people respond to external stimuli spontaneously. Use related images, GIFs, virtual tours and other such means, instead of plain texts, to get your client hooked.
- Focus on using the right words: Think before you scribble. Try to try from the client’s point of view. “Let’s do it together”, “Take me to my dashboard”, “Always FREE” are some of the best phrases that are used in SEO optimization. For content marketing, you have to consider that clients want to do as less as they can and words like “sign-up” and “download” are already cliché and tiring.
- Give more leads and fewer choices: In most cases, sites have a homepage and an about page. But if you want to improve the traffic of page, then offer them fewer choices than most sites. This method is counter-productive, increases a site’s click rates by offering any things to people. Keep a welcome mat on your site. This restricts your clients with lesser choices and increases your conversion rate.
- Switch on the Urgency button: Urgency can be triggered from clients as people value their time. Even though your product is available on the page for an indefinite period of time, you can tweak your pitch a bit and make your clients realize that it is time-sensitive. This simple yet effective process can make a whole lot of difference in generating traffic.
- Make anxiety-free commitment: It is true that people are rightfully cautious about commitment when the clause of investing their money is attached. Power of words is the key here again. Don’t encroach the clients’ personal space, be simple and honest to keep the commitment free from anxiety.
- Free is fun: Everybody loves free stuff. Nothing can beat the free tag when it comes to drawing clients’ attention. If you place the word “FREE” beside your CTA, it will surely generate traffic. Free alleviates the anxiety of commitment. It can prove to be a powerful technique if you can use it correctly.
- Track your results: Using different options always prove to be beneficial. What works for one context, may not be applied to the other. Play with words, be creative, offer discount and free gifts to lure clients to help them get better experiences so that they return to your page and also recommend it to others.
Here are a few companies that use inspiring CTA
Budget CTA: If you are short of cash, then go for customized or do-it-yourself call to action. For this, you will have to follow these simple rules :-
These tricks can lead to unending opportunities for your site. Call to action is basically a science that involves a lot of trial and error techniques. All you have to do is to be open to new things.
Conclusion: CTA build the foundation of your online marketing. Hence, being eye-catching and attractive should be the mantra. Using bold colors, in contrast to your page, easy location of the CTA and simple words fetch good results. Bland and flat CTA are a strict no-no. Teeny tiny wordings often remain unseen to visitors. CTA should be clickable with positive vibe. Also, don’t make it too much heavy with words. Try not to link your home page with your CTA. Always promote your CTA with clever ideas and keep changing them because the stream of clients or visitors changes too over a period of time. Stay afresh and anew.